The Museum of the American Military Family Celebrates a Year in Tijeras, New MexicoPosted: June 25, 2017
On July 9, 2017, the Museum of the American Military Family & Learning Center (MAMF) will have been in its current location on Route 66 for one year. Open on weekends and by appointment, 882 people have visited us. Our small all-volunteer board works hard to make our museum a relevant and welcoming presence, locally and online.
Since last July, MAMF has:
- Hosted a monthly “Mid-Month Movie” series
- Created and exhibited “GI Jokes: a Somewhat Light-Hearted Look at Military Life (now permanently on display at MAMF)
- Published our first anthology “From the Front Lines to the HomeFront: New Mexicans Reflect on War”
- Hosted numerous reading and discussion groups
- Conducted transformative papermaking workshops (Fatigues to Flags) for women veterans
- Sponsored and coordinated events for the New Mexico Midway Route leg of Run For the Wall motorcycle event
- Hosted 3 Naturalization ceremonies
- Built and dedicated a Memorial to Military Families, located in Santa Fe, New Mexico
What does the rest of the year look like?
- We are wrapping up our call for your stories for our two anthologies, “SHOUT: Sharing our Truth” and “War Child: Lessons Learned Growing Up in War” as well as our cookbook. (These will be published in October and November 2017)
- Our fifth exhibit, “Inside Out” will open in October 2017
- We are creating our sixth exhibit, “Host Nation Hospitality” which will open some time in December
We have done this through memberships, some arts and humanities grants and through donations from regular folks who want to help us continue to preserve and share our unique culture…
Please get involved!
- Share our museum Facebook page with your friends and family, visit our website and check out our many blogs, podcasts and other social media.
- Send us a favorite written memory to share on our blogs and preserve in our special collection library
- Become a member, or donate to our memorial fund.
- If you are cleaning out your attic or garage and you come across military family memorabilia you no long want—please consider donating it to MAMF.
We thank you all for your support of our very special museum…It’s been a wonderful year!